I promise that I have been sewing, but it’s just been on big things, like quilts,that aren’t ready to show yet. However, other people around me have been accomplishing a lot.
For example, I sewed with my friends Amy and Christina this weekend. Amy sewed growing up a little, but she has recently gotten back into it and she is KILLING it.
First, she’s not afraid to try anything. She also is very hands on and learns best by just giving it a shot and learning from any mistakes she makes along the way.
She’s not making many mistakes, though. Her stuff is turning out really great!
Yeah, she sewed that curved pillow. I don’t even want to attempt that, but she jumped right in! Then she decided to add cornerstones to the border. It was a pretty successful pillow. Then she made a receiving blanket using organic knit fabric, which didn’t scare her one bit. She made a fabric basket and a heating pad using flax. She’s kind of prolific.
And there’s more! She made a Day of the Dead pillow and then some napkins for her girls to use at lunch. I think by the end of the night she had made another pillow. Oh! And she helped her daughter make a blanket.
That’s a lot of stuff. I thought I was prolific, but I might have a contender.
Then, there’s Christina…or Coo, as we call her. Christina has sewn a little bit before with her Grandma, but nothing on her own. She asked me for help to learn and I was all about it! She wanted to make a wrap dress so we found a Kwik Sew pattern (3489) that would be good for a beginner. I read a bunch of reviews about it and everybody loved the pattern and the instructions. They said it was easy to understand and went together quickly. There were a few suggestions and we used most of them. The pattern recommends fabric with a 35% stretch, so we went to Joann’s and spent some time tugging at various knits. We found a couple we liked that had a good weight, color, and stretch, but THEN…we found the BEST FABRIC EVER!
I know. I can’t believe I’m saying that this amazingly awesome fabric came from Joann’s, but it did. It’s beautiful an d it feels really fabulous, even after being washed. I should have bought all of it. I should buy some online, but I don’t need to spend the money. But I really want to. I really liked worked with it. I really like how the dress made with it turned out. I just really like it.
Anyway, back to the dress. Coo got the full experience. She had to tape the pattern together, trace it, cut out all of the pieces, and sew it all together. I think she learned a lot. I’m sure it was overwhelming, but she did a fabulous job. The dress turned out better than I could ever imagine. I was a little nervous because I hadn’t made the pattern before, but the reviews made me feel better.
So Coo knocked it out of the park. Her first time really sewing and she made a really great fitting dress using knit fabric (heavy knit, so it wasn’t too shifty). This dress has some really professional looking finishes. We made just a few changes. First, it’s super long. We shortened it by four inches to make it work appropriate. If it wasn’t being worn for work, we could have shortened it another inch or two. We also squared off the wrap part of the dress. It just looks more modern that way. We made the ties significantly longer and thicker. We didn’t add the optional elastic and that was totally fine. We did top stitch around the neckline and I’m really glad we did. It added a really nice finish. Also, the instructions aren’t really clear about the hole left in one side for the tie to go through. We had to enlarge that hole because our ties were wider, but we also top stitched around it to keep everything in place. For the ties, since the space you need to place them isn’t very wide, we tapered them off at the end so they would fit in the space. Also, I don’t think the instructions go over finishing the other end of the ties. It wasn’t hard to do, though.
I took this picture with Coo’s phone and she sent it to me with her head halfway cropped off. So blame her for that.
Doesn’t it look great?! I wish you could see more of the detail. We cut an XS and it could maybe be a little tighter, but it’s not loose enough that it looks bad. The bust darts maybe could have come up a little bit, but it’s so close that nobody will ever say, “Those bust darts aren’t in the right place.” Oh! We used Steam-A-Seam for all of the hems including the sleeves. It was a LIFESAVER! And the interfacing we used was my go-to Pellon SF101. Of course, for sewing with knits, we used a ballpoint needle and a walking foot. Those were also the best things ever. We bought 2 1/4 yds although the pattern says 2 1/8, but I wanted to account for an shrinkage. I’m glad we had all of that yardage since we squared off the skirt and lengthened and widened the ties.
I want to make this dress now. Like this exact one with this exact fabric. I won’t, but I want to. I covet that dress.
I could go on and on about that dress. I’ll stop, though, and move on to what my wonderful mother has been working on.
Yes, those are do-rags that motorcycle dudes wear. My dad’s a motorcycle dude. He’s had this one American flag do-rag for like 10 years and it has finally fallen apart. People recognize him by this do-rag. They don’t know him by his bike, but his do-rag. It was kind of devastating for this do-rag to finally see it’s last day. So my mom decided to use it as a pattern and is now making do-rags. My dad requested the chevrons because he knows I’m into that. I guess that’s not going to be his signature. People will know him by his chevron do-rags. I think it’s the coolest thing ever. I told him he needed to paint his bike chevron and I think he’s considering it. Haha. I love it!
Anyway, that’s what everybody else has been up to. I promise I’ll have an update on what I’ve been doing soon.