I began quilting my piece for the KCMQG’s Kandinsky Challenge. I had a pretty clear vision when I started, but let’s just say that it has evolved a bit/almost changed completely. I’m totally fine with that; it’s just weird how I can see it in my head and then 10 minutes later I have a seam ripper in my hand and a better vision has replaced the previous one. It’s like I cannot really know until I have the fabric in my hands and I’ve started quilting. Luckily, my wonderful mother gave me a fantastic seam ripper.
I was originally going to do wavy horizontal lines, but when I started, it looked like everything was under the sea. I think you can still see the lines a bit on the red. A good pressing should take them out…I hope. Then I went with a sun-like vertical pattern.
This was originally going to be actual stars and then curly q’s between them. Ha! Before I even sat at the machine, I had already changed my mind about the stars and had switched them to star bursts. Once those were complete, I started drawing the curly q’s that connected the star bursts and I hated them. I switched to just wavy lines connecting the star bursts. I also hated those. I’m still not sure if I’m going to leave it or do something more, but I sort of like the contrast of heavy quilting on the bottom and light quilting on the top. There’s already a night and day contrast, so I think it fits.
I had not even thought of what I was going to do with the borders before I sat down at the machine. This just randomly popped into my head. I was thinking about the shapes from the picture I’m supposed to draw inspiration from and this just happened.
I’m super pleased with how it’s turning out. I really love it. I think I’m really going to love it when it’s completely finished. I have a bunch more plans for it than just quilting…
P.S. I could not have done all of this without Frixion pens. AMAZING!