My sister texted my mom and I recently and said she was interested in doing some apparel sewing. I obviously volunteered to help her and we started planning immediately.
She sent me some inspiration pics for a very poofy skirt.
After much Googling, I had an idea of what we needed to do and a sort of pattern written up.
Well, this was both a fail and a win.
The win was that the skirt fit perfectly and turned out great from the outside. Well, it needs some tulle or something underneath it to make it poof out more, but otherwise it looks great.
The fail was the inside. I meant to have this fully lined, but that did not work out as intended. Let’s just say that the lining measurements were WAY off. Not sure how that happened, but it did. Therefore, the seams are finished with a serger, but it’s nowhere near professional looking from the inside.
I did figure out what I did wrong, so I think I could get the lining to work next time. Also, next time we want to add larger box pleats and shorten the hem.
Also, I think I will use an invisible zipper. Overall, I’m proud of myself for creating the pattern and figuring out all of the measurements, etc. I’m proud of my sister for doing such a good job sewing it. We’re going to make some more of these and my sister has a friend that majored in fashion design, so her help might not be a bad idea. I think I could do it myself, but I won’t turn down help from a pro.